A Vegan Lunch Tin



A Vegan Lunch Tin, originally uploaded by soja.

Gosh, stainless steel shiny things are hard to photograph.

I thought I'd enter the contest at "The Vegan Lunch Box". I really enjoyed looking at all the different lunches she was making when her son was at school and thought it would be good to join in.

I'm going to try to write down my "recipes", all a bit vague, as I just do it as I go along, anyway, the easiest first...

Red cabbage and carrot coleslaw

1 cup finely sliced/shredded red cabbage (though it's purple...)

1 cup shredded/grated at a pinch carrot

1/2 finely sliced very small red onion

Dressing:

2 tbspn peanut butter (I used crunchy as it's what I had)

1 tbspn apple cider vinegar

dash (1 tspn?) olive oil

Black pepper, freshly ground

Whisk together and use to coat coleslaw.

Three-bean red pepper hummus

N.B. I soaked and cooked all three beans together, which means the pale coloured beans end up an unappetising greyish colour because of the black beans. This is no problem here because they are mixed with the red pepper. However, for a pepper free version it would be best to leave the black beans out, or if you are using pepper but are soaking a big batch of beans and want to use some of the beans for something else, just soak/cook them separately.

1/2 to 3/4 cup each of dried chickpeas, haricot beans and black beans, or any other combination, soaked and cooked (I cook in a slow cooker, fuss free). Or canned/jarred beans rinsed.

1/3 cup roasted red peppers (I used tinned peppers that also contain a little onion)

1 tbsp olive oil

juice of 1/2 to 1 lime

2 tbspn tahini

2 - 3 tbspn water

Black pepper, freshly ground.

Mashed up with an immersion blender.

Good as a dip too, being hummus and all.

Comments