Sausage and Apple casserole

OK, bad lighting because it's dark and this was taken in the kitchen.
I must write down what I did while I remember, if I remember, this was absolutely delicious - I think because of the long cooking time, between 1 and 2 hours somewhere. My little, less than sociable, nervy young kitty decided that she actually wanted to curl up on my lap and I was loathe to disturb her. Funny little thing.
Ah, but um, yes, back to the point. Slice one smallish red onion (think that a normal onion would be fine in this, but only had red left) fry in olive oil with 5 or 6 small cloves of garlic. Thinly slice (on the diagonal) 4 carrots (thin and youngish), peel core and dice one eating apple and thickly slice 3 sage and apple sausages (see Sunday's post). Add to pan. Add about a teaspoon of yellow mustard seeds, ground mixed pepper, 1/2 - 1 teaspoon rosemary, thyme and oregano. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. Chop and add two big tomatoes. Fry until a little brown. Add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, 2/3 tin of dry white wine, 1-2 tins of water and about 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas. Add a pinch of brown sugar and 2 stock cubes (vegetable, low salt). Add two bay leaves. Bring to boil and then simmer. Yum yum yum, very simple, and pretty similiar to lots of things I cook when feeling lazy, but this just seemed to taste really rich and um, yes, delicious - thanks to Jaffa the cat for her part in the proceedings.

Comments