In the can!

Phew! No more pickles for a year... except maybe in the summer when there are plenty of tasty tomatoes around. I still had some lemon and limes left and I wanted to make mango chutney. 
Mango chutney is relatively hard to find here, and when I do find it it is the very sweet, smooth jam like stuff. I prefer the chunkier, more chutney like version.

Lemon and Lime marmalade 
(recipe from 'The Book of Preserves' by the Australian Women's weekly, ed. Maryanne Blacker, 199o)

540 g lemons (Bk 3 med, 4 smallish)
425 g limes (Bk 5 med, me 4 as all I had)
2 litres water
1 3/4 kg sugar
2 tablespoons Cointreau

Rind removed from fruit, without pith, messy, used a potato peeler. Cut into very fine strips. Pith and pips removed and saved. Tied up in a handkerchief sized piece of calico - didn't used all the pith, too much. Flesh chopped up roughly. Flesh and bad added to a big pan and brought to the boil. Simmered, covered for 1 hour until rind soft. Removed bag. Added sugar and stirred, not boiling, until sugar dissolved. (I did not measure the fruit mixture as instructed in the book, I just added all the sugar).

Boiled for 20-30 minutes until setting point. Added Cointreau, poured into hot sterilised jars. Covered loosely, tightly when cooled.

Mango Chutney
(recipe adapted from 'Marguerite Patten's 1,000 Favourite Recipes', Treasure Press, 1988)

1-2 teaspoons pickling spices tied in muslin (I didn't have/do this - I added 1/2 teaspoon cloves, peppercorns, coriander and cumin seeds to the fruit mixture.
350 g onions, finely chopped
600 ml brown or white malt vinegar (I used a mixture of apple and sherry and white wine vinegar)
450 g cooking apples, weight when peeled, sliced (I used Granny Smiths)
450 g sugar
1-2 teaspoons ground ginger (I used finely grated fresh ginger, about an inch)

The onions, spices, and half the vinegar went in a big pan and were simmered until the onion was tender. The remaining vinegar, mangoes and apples were added and cooked until the fruit was soft. The sugar and ginger were added and then the mixture cooked until thick and jam like. Then poured into hot sterilised jars.

Comments