Sunday, 15 February 2009

Pickle a jam



Now I'm finished, I made a couple more batches of things last weekend.



First, the recipes, and changes made, for the Tomato Chilli Sauce (from 'The Book of Preserves' by 'The Australian Women's Weekly' (Ed. Maryanne Blacker, 1990) and the Lime Pickle (from '1001 Recipes' Ed. Alexa Stace, 1997).

Tomato and Chilli Sauce

3 cloves garlic (I used 4 or 5)
2 1/2 tablespoons allspice (I used nutmeg)
3 teaspoons cloves
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 1/2 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I used mostly plum tomatoes as they were riper)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup white vinegar (I used mix of apple and sherry vinegar)
2 teaspoons coarse cooking salt
3 medium fresh red chillies, chopped (I use large mild chillies)
Garlic, cloves and peppercorns tied in calico pouch. 

Pouch and everything else put in a large pan, heated and stirred without boiling until sugar had dissolved. Brought to the boil, simmered uncovered, approx. 45 mins, stirred occasionally. 
Mixture quite thick, discarded bag of spices, blended in pan with hand held metal blender (washed in boiling water) re-boiled. Poured into two hot sterilised jars.

Lime pickle

6 limes, washed
60 g (1/2 cup) salt
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
seeds from 2 star anise (I didn't have these)
4 small green chillies (I used large mild chillies)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
125 g (2/3 cup) light muscovado sugar (I used light cane sugar)
3 -4 tablespoons water

Limes cut into quarters put in a wide bowl and sprinkled with the salt. For 24 hours (overnight/12 hours NOT long enough!) Seeds and chillies heated in a dry saucepan until seeds began to pop. Removed from heat. 

Liquid strained from limes into a small pan. Add sugar, ginger and water, boiled for approx 2 minutes until sugar had dissolved.
Limes and chilli spice mix combined and packed into hot sterilised jars. Boiled sugar mixture poured over limes. Lids screwed on loosely, when cool screwed on firmly.

Mixture did not cover limes completely. I've added a layer of sunflower oil to make a seal. Will see how this works (it's what I do with preserved lemons and the lime pickle I have at Indian restaurants is usually oily (unless it is a fresh pickle) so this is an experiment.

2 comments:

bakeandsew said...

Gosh you have been so busy - it all looks so delicious

Soja said...

Thank-you! So far it tastes good.... :-)