Coffee and Cake


German Apple Cake, originally uploaded by soja.

I decided to make this cake to use up the three Granny Smith apples I thought I had in the fridge....It seems I'd eaten two of them, so I used one biggish Granny Smith and two smaller fuji apples for the top, as the recipe said three apples (wish a rough weight required was given). This seemed to be more than enough, I think two medium/big Granny Smiths would be fine. The recipe also called for unsweetened apple sauce, I didn't have any so "baked" another small fuji apple in the microwave and scraped out the cooked apple and used that. I had no sugar left to sprinkle over the top, so used the ground ginger and cinnamon as in recipe, and then glazed with some thinned out lemon and lime marmalade. Yum.

The recipe is from "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I was, hmm, disappointed with this book when I first got it, many of the recipes just seemed to substitute Ener-G Egg Replacer for eggs in standard recipes. Which is fine, but I had already done that with some old recipes over the last 10 years or so, I can't find egg replace here in Spain, and in the UK I remember it was quite expensive, so I was hoping for other solutions. 

Anyway, looking again at the book, there are a good many recipes that don't rely on egg replacer, and general suggestions for other possibilities, plus many of the recipes are illustrated, which makes it appealing, and this cake was good. I had a weekend of apple cake, coffee and tea and lots of knitting, not bad at all.

Comments

That looks and sounds delicious! How I love a good apple cake.