Weekend Sewing

So much to note down, but not now. I have been quite busy sewing things for myself, for work (a small class version of Little Red Riding Hood) and a couple of gifts too. Dad was visiting for a couple of weeks, we had a good time visiting local towns and eating out - I don't really bother when I am alone, and cheering my football team on to victory. ;-)

My birthday present to myself was "Weekend Sewing" by Heather Ross. My Dad offered to pay for fabric as a birthday gift, which made for a good combination. I was a little worried that the book might be a bit too full of totes, napkins, and wrap around skirts, but it is a good mix of things, and worth it for the photography. These headscarves were the first thing I sewed up after Dad's visit ended. They were really quick and simple and made from scraps I had left from other things. No pattern required, just a bit of measuring.

Last weekend I traced off patterns for the kimono dress, summer blouse, guest slippers, Lucy's kimono (baby top for a gift) and weekend travel bag (more of a make up bag really). I ordered some beautiful 100% bamboo fabric from a very friendly and helpful Etsy seller (Whipstitch Fabrics), along with some printed cotton 1/2 yards, for the kimono dress. The seller was lovely, she replied to my daft questions about drape and colour immediately, and even got back to me to tell what quantity of fabric I could order for the best postage deal - and the fabric arrived all tied up in ribbon.

I finished the dress today, the fabric is lovely! Very light and silky, easy to iron, and the first thing I have sewn without any problem at all on the sewing machine! I did have to make a few alterations to get a reasonable fit, but I'm happy with the way it has turned out - photos when I can get someone to take one I suppose. ;-)

Comments