Summer lunch


Summer lunch, originally uploaded by soja.

Phew! Not today's lunch, today is just too hot and I think lunch is going to consist of horchata ice lollies - at least til it cools down a little.

My summer eating is a weird mixture of lots of healthy, fresh fruit and vegtables, sort of balanced with not so healthy stuff because I'm too hot to prepare anything, yesterdays dinner was popcorn and melon.

I definitely eat more fruit when it's hot, lots of melon, and lots of soft fruits, peaches, nectarines, apricots and cherries. And I love it when the tomatoes become cheaper and tastier all at the same time. This meal used a mixture of cherry and salad tomatoes. Fried/simmered down into a base of finely diced softened onion and garlic in olive oil.
A good slug of red wine, a generous amount of freshly ground pepper, a little sweet chilli sauce, a pinch of salt and lots of fresh basil and a handful of nasturtian greens from the balcony. And possibly my favourite beans - broad beans. Delicious.

The basil is growing better than ever before on the balcony this year I have pots and pots of it, lovely.

Comments