Monday, 31 August 2009

Think I've got it!


First purse, originally uploaded by soja.

No posts for a week and then two all at once. I guess that's what comes of having several projects on the go at once.

Anyway, I think I've worked out the purse pattern I've been playing with for a couple of weeks. This is the second (and first successful) fabric prototype, I've played about with a few paper versions.

I used the knowledge from Cotton and Cloud's kit, but couldn't use the pattern, as the kit was for a larger, curved frame purse, whereas this is a small rectangular framed purse. Fortunately, U-Handbag has a tutorial explaining how to make your own pattern from your frame.

I used some of the practice quilting sandwich I still had leftover after making the bibs. The polar fleece blanket I used in the quilt sandwich definitely had more body than the fusible fleece, so seems to have made a good substitution here. I bought 10 of these frames for $16 from Cotton Touch, an Etsy seller based in Thailand, they arrived prettily wrapped and in good time. The fabric (except lining) is from Ikea.

I managed to buy some strong glue and cotton string for the cording at the local hardware store . I used bondaweb, to prevent fraying really, and then appliqued the flower pieces onto the already quilted fabric before attaching the frame.

I think I've got a pattern that works now, this was pretty easy, if a bit fiddly because of the size. Gotta tidy up all this sewing stuff before Dad arrives on Wednesday....

3 comments:

RosaMaría said...

it's so cute! that flower is the perfect detail

Sandra said...

This is so cute! It would make me smile every time I`d take the purse out of my bag :)

Soja said...

Thank-you! The applique was an experiment too - I love daisies :-) I have frames to make some more, but can't get the machine out or sit behind the computer while my Dad is here for his holiday - but I'll be back soon.