Charlotte's Quilt


Charlotte's Quilt, originally uploaded by soja.

A bit dark, but earlier it was too bright and over exposed, ah well, glad to have pics before I give it away! :-)

A small quilt made for a colleague at the first school I was placed at. We had chatted about quilts as she had said that she was looking for one for her home, so when I knew that she was expecting her first baby just before I was due to leave I knew that I had to make her a quilt!
I kept the quilt simple, I hope that these colours are autumnal (the baby is due in September) and gender neutral.
I used most of a Moda charm pack that I loved, though can't remember the designer/series for the front and some super soft, lovely printed cotton from Ikea for the back. I also added some hand appliqued wobbly circles to the back, just because I can't seem to keep the backs of my quilts simple!

The binding is a really soft gingham cotton bought from a company in Spain. The wadding was bought from Home Town a local quilt shop in Rochester, and is bamboo. It was very soft and easy to work with.
The label was sewn on the machine using free motion quilting and a variegated thread from Cotton Patch. I used bondaweb to stabilise it while sewing. Although this made it really easy (relatively - I struggle sewing letters), I won't do it again as it made the label a little stiff.

The finished size is 86 x 100 cm/ 34 by 39.5 inches.

Comments