Shorts for (not-so) shorty!

Despite the wind and rain today, we have had some hot days here and a certain little someone can struggle with the heat. I noticed that the shorts he had were pretty thick jersey, so decided to make him some thinner options from quilting cotton. These are a riff off of the 'Sunny Day Shorts' a free pattern very kindly provided on the Oliver + S website. The pattern is great - it is a pdf download covering a huge range of sizes, from 0 to 4 years on one file and then 5 to 12 on another. There are just three pattern pieces and I think it is drafted really well - all the notches and seams match up exactly ( I know that they should, but it is not always the case). I did modify the pattern quite considerably I guess. The pattern has no pockets, which would be a very unpopular choice with Rupert.

I also added button holes and a full drawstring as he is quite small-waisted and I wanted to ensure that they would fit. I made up the 3T size - he is 2 1/2.


I took care over the internal seams, as ever, as it gives me pleasure and I think makes the garments more pleasant to wear and longer lasting. I finished the side leg seams with an enclosed welt seam and used bias binding for the central seam. I tend to use bias on the pockets for this type of garment for me, but thought it would be too much bulk on such a small item. Instead, I just did a second row of stitching. I considered a zig-zag or edge stitch, but thought this would be softer and strong enough.

A pinked seam edge or zig-zag with the pattern as given (no pockets or draw string) would make these super quick to whip up. I hope they do the job and I get to give them to him soon.  #auntygoals.

Comments