A few shirt details...

The clothes were handed over to my sister today - toy cars and a puppy were the focus of the moment, so no doubt little one will investigate his new togs later - he did seem most keen on the shirt. Maybe because of the colours and monkeys and maybe because he recognised the fabric from the quilt in his room.  Anyway, a few details for future me. Firstly, I need to look at the printing out options, printed at 100% the lines on the edge of each piece did not print out so the pages could not be matched up, there was also no overlap and no image or line to check the scale e.g 'this box should be 1" square', things that meant I couldn't construct the pattern (I'm pretty used to using pdf patterns). I printed out the pattern again at 'print to scale' which was 93% on my set up, knowing it would be smaller -  but at least I could measure the pieces and get an idea of what was going on. I also went for the age 3-4 year old size for a slim 2.5 year old, hoping this would mean the pattern would still be usable. Without a scale check on the pattern, I measured the seam allowance that was marked. Weirdly, all the seams were the same width on the pattern, even though varying seam allowances are called for in the instructions in the book. Anyway, the printed seam allowance on the side seam measured 3/8" and the book stated to use a 1/2" seam, so I had an idea of how much smaller the pattern had printed out. Incidentally, the measurements in the book are given in centimetres and inches, I just found the closest match was in fractions of inches. 


Another little inconvenience was that despite separate patterns, amazingly and impressively being supplied for 18months to 8 years old, only one fabric requirement is given in the book - and a shirt for an 18-24 month old is not going to need as much fabric as that for a 7-8 year old! The book stated 1 1/2 yards (1.4 m) of fabric. With no pattern jenga required, I cut this from the 60cm remnant that I had - all be it that the pattern was (probably) 7% smaller than intended, 1.4 m would have left a large excess of fabric.
 

A couple of new tools, more glass head pins  - some of my old pins are definitely a little too bent and blunt, using these was a pleasure; and this clover hem measurer/turner, it's handy, but on small seams, the thickness of the tool did alter the width that was being pressed up, both purchased from Amazon.
The book, 'Sewn with Love' by Fiona Bell (previously published under a different name, 'Vintage Style for Kids") is beautiful, the photographs and painted illustrations are charming. It is delightful to look at. Sometimes a few more technical illustrations of some of the steps would have been useful. I found the instructions on how to construct the yoke very confusing, I just assumed it was the burrito method and did that based on previous experience, I'm not sure a novice sewer would have known what to do. I'm at a stage where I can generally use my favourite methods and adapt as I go. I changed the cuffs on the sleeves to avoid bulk and folded up a less deep hem on the shirt to give more length. I used French seams for the side seams and altered the pocket. I wasn't overly keen on the way the revere collar looked - it seemed a little small. I should really have drafted another one, but I have purchased another pattern to compare it to (Thomas Shirt pattern by Felicity Sewing Patterns) - I hope to make more shirts and have this idea of upcycling men's old Hawaiian style shirts to make more - could be fun!



I liked the look of this shirt and do want to try more of the patterns from this beautiful book, I think I just need to play around a little with the print options. Generally, the. pieces went together well - the sleeves were perfect and went in smoothly first time, a stage that can often be a little tricky.
Incidentally, just in case anyone wants to know, the fabric details are:








Comments