Thursday, 24 June 2010

Not travelling lightly...


Haven't vanished off the face of the earth, just end of term, finishing up, saying goodbyes, organising moving and packing. My least favourite activity, but I know that it will be worth it when I arrive. Difficult to leave, but great to arrive.

Dog and cat have their passports, blood tests and transport booked. The removal company is booked. I have a flight and a house to move into when I arrive. I've been accepted onto the courses I need to do over the summer so that I can start another course in September. Offers accepted, contracts signed and most forms completed and in the system. Just got to get all the stuff into boxes....

England here we come!

Sunday, 6 June 2010

Skirt Refashion


Skirt Refashion, originally uploaded by soja.

Very simple! Still can't work out how to take a picture of me in things though. ;-)This used to be a very comfortable, old summer dress... I wore it to the vet's three years ago when Lucky got his first rabbies jab and, trying to escape into my arms, he caught his paw in the front of the dress and managed to shred it. It has been sitting in my recycle pile since then....

Part of the delay was that I thought it might be a bit short as a skirt, and it is cut on the bias so I wasn't keen on pressing over and making a casing for the elastic. Anyway, it has been very hot, and I remembered how cool and soft this material was, so thought I'd experiment. I found some grossgrain ribbon type stuff in my supplies and used this to make a casing for the elastic, so as not to lose too much in the length. I thought it might be a bit bulky, but it's fine.

I already had the crochet cotton from an abandoned project a year ago. At first I just sewed around the hem with a blanket stitch, much like another old favourite dress I have. But I have been wanting to try another crochet project, and searching around on the web, I came across 'You Go Girl's' blog and great tutorial for crochet edged pillow cases. Even better, the crochet was added to a blanket stitch foundation - so I followed her great instructions (after 'translating' them into British English crochet...). I had stitched my blanket stitch at 1 cm intervals, and I used a 3 mm crochet hook and crochet cotton so this on a different scale to hers, but it seems to have worked out well. Voila! A new skirt, all made from stuff I had on hand.